Happy Call of Duty day, folks. Love it or hate, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will almost assuredly become the best selling game of this entire year within a matter of weeks. Infinity Ward has gone back to basics for this reboot of sorts, and it appears from the initial reaction that it may have paid off.
One slight word of caution for the reviews that have dropped today though. Review code has only been sent out this past 24 hours so the initial wave of reviews have come from an Activision-hosted review event. You know the drill: Reviewers were flown out, locked in a room with some PR, and played a good chunk of every mode under controlled conditions. Attach whatever level of wariness you need to this particular situation.
Anyway, it’s launch day, and that can mean only one thing in this modern age of gaming - a day 1 update. Infinity Ward has been busy hacking COD: Modern Warfare apart since the public beta last month, implementing a number of key changes such as a revised mini-map, overhauled weapon balance, better quality spawns, and a whole lot more. The 64-player Ground War mode felt beyond salvaging but who knows, perhaps it’s halfway decent now.
PC players get some loving on day one as well with plenty of PC-specific Call of Duty: Modern Warfare fixes. Performance has been improved when transition to crouch and prone positions, while that pesky blurriness present in the beta should now have been sorted out. IW has also added a new depth of field (DOF) slider in the graphics options menu.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Day-1 Update Release Notes
- Spawning in Core Multiplayer:
- Fixed edge case scenarios with spawning on enemies
- Adjusted spawn logic to improve spawn quality. We’ve also added more spawns to increase your options. We will continue to improve this map by map post-launch
- Ground War:
- Added more fallback spawns to FOBs if the flag has too many enemies
- Improved safety checking for spawning on Squadmates (is still dangerous, but the UI will notify you of this!)
- Added spawning on Squadmates while in vehicles
- Neutral tanks and helicopters now show up in the Spawn Selection screen
- Helicopters now have flares to help manage incoming missiles
- If all flags are captured by one team, you’ll go into Defcon to win so protect those flags!
- Fix for an exploit that was allowing players (and therefore teammates) to spawn under the map
- Brightened characters in dark areas across many maps
- Low Health Visuals:
- Now brightens up in the middle of the screen instead of darkening
- Weapon Balance:
- In general, weapons received a lot of love since the Beta. Most notably shotguns and pistols.
- Enemy claymores now have larger, visible lasers
- Reviving a teammate near a friendly claymore could cause the claymore to explode, resulting in a suicide
- Now on by default across core multiplayer and Ground War. Enemy firing does not show up on the mini-map unless a team UAV is active
- Map zoom is pulled out a bit to help with player awareness
- VTOL Jet adjusted to not target players though rooftops
- Fix for the Juggernaut Suit not spawning out of a crate. Another fix was deployed to prevent the mask from staying on the player after you have died as the Juggernaut and respawned
- After using the Cruise Missile, player character models were sometimes stuck in a lean after using the streak
- Munitions Box:
- Activated by using a prompt instead of proximity
- Reduced the explosion radius of the box
- Trophy System:
- Applied the Snapshot effect to the owner of any Snapshot grenades
- Recon Drone:
- All players in vehicles are now markable
- Screen tearing on character and weapon models on Xbox
- Impact damage of lethals/tacticals and the ammo box were causing instant kills
- Adjustments to the descriptions in Gunsmith
- Fix for a bug where the wrong input would be shown for players in a party
- Fix for a bug where a door could open in the opposite direction of the player’s movement
- Footsteps – Footstep tuning of volume fall off distance, mixing volume and occlusion settings
- Placing Deployable Cover on stairs could prevent teammates from being able to mantle or crouch under, blocking paths
- Various audio tuning and fixes for executions and weapons
- Players were able to spam the crouch button while moving creating a ‘snaking’ effect.
COD Modern Warfare PC Specific Fixes
- Crouch and prone transition animations have been smoothed out for high FPS
- ADS Sensitivity options can now be saved when using KBM
- Double-tapping the sticks now always triggers the Tactical Sprint when using a gamepad on PC
- Fixed blurriness in various situations
- Ping widget is now showing the correct latency value
- Added depth of field option in the Graphics options
- Added HDR support
- Added NVIDIA Highlight support in MP
- Global performance improvements and stability fixes
- ADS transition animations have been smoothed out for high FPS
- Adjusted stand-to-prone timing for KBM versus gamepads
- Player no longer loses sprint functionality by holding down sprint keybind and the move keybind while respawning
- FOV Slider setting reverting to default after loading into the map.