XCOM 2 is a fine game, but it’s not without its fair share of performance issues and bugs. In fact, gamers have been complaining in droves about strange problems in Firaxis’ tactical strategy game, ranging from graphical artifacts to chugging frame rates, crashes, and eternal loading screens.
Luckily they’ve been mercifully quick to tackle a few of these issues, pushing out a hotfix for XCOM 2 overnight. "We're happy to report a hotfix for XCOM 2 is now available,” writes publisher 2K. “This update fixes issues causing known crashes and includes some performance improvements. Saves affected by the crashes detailed below can be recovered and continued after installing the update."
I didn’t encounter any of these problems myself but apparently some users basically had game halting bugs which wouldn’t let them scan after completing Resistance Communications research. That’s pretty early in the game, but it would still have been very annoying, particularly for those on Ironman runs. This should be sorted, as is a problem with being unable to load a save with a Chryssalid Cocoon in it.
Interestingly, and most definitely for the better, Firaxis has removed 8xMSAA from the default Max settings in XCOM 2. I know Max should mean Max, but in the case of MSAA it is the most ultra-demanding option out there, and rendering at eight times your native resolution was crippling SLI 980 Ti’s.
Anyway, here’s the full XCOM 2 Hotfix Patch Notes:
- Player is unable to progress to scan in the Geoscape after completing the Resistance Communications research via Tutorial – This will fix previously affected saves.
- Unable to load saves with a Chryssalid Cocoon – This will fix the issue, and for previously affected saves.
- Adjustments were made to Texture Streaming to assist with periodic frame spikes.
- Using the preview voice button for a modded voice pack will no longer crash the game when in the armory.
- Removed 8x MSAA from default Max settings.
The update is out right now so it should just auto-update in Steam before you next boot up XCOM 2.